I have been thinking a lot lately about my impact here at this orphanage. I am in love with my kids here. I am in love with this country. I am in love with teaching and the joys that children bring to my life.
However, just as in any mission field.....
There is so much work to be done here. There is so much pain, conflict, doubt, insecurity, and sorrow. There are plenty of tears and sometimes some anger. It is hard to know exactly where to start sometimes. No matter what I have been taught in Bible class, Sunday school, or growing up, there are things that I just do not understand, nor do I think I ever will. I am scared, I want to help but don't know exactly how, I get frustrated and impatient. I hate feeling this way and have been asking God lately to just show me His plans. I want Him to show me how things will play out, what kinds of futures my kids will hold, and exactly what part I will play in those futures.
Instead of giving me a play-by-play of the future, God decided to give me something better. He showed me the very simple, yet VERY important plan He has for me. It is a prayer I now whisper anytime I have these feelings of doubt, and one I believe God has been whispering over me since I was born.
"The most important [commandment] is this: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
Mark 12:29-31
I don't have to know everything right now. I don't have to understand all of my thoughts and feelings. I don't have to try to figure out what the future holds. God gives all of us a simple task: Love God first, love others second.
I can do that.
I can love God and others. I can hug my babies, correct tests and homework, and wipe away tears. I can make cookies with the older girls, let the young boys play with my iPad all day long, and spend hours chatting away with my Ecuadorean moms.
I can do the little things to show God's love through me to these kids and pray that they keep that love in their hearts forever.
SORRY FOR THE LONG RANT.
And now... pictures. Because that is always my favorite part of any blog post.
This little stud is Juan Pillajo. His nickname is "Chichico", which is a type of small monkey. He is small and completely hyper, so the nickname fits.
This little devil is Joan. He is not a fan of schoolwork AT ALL and can make a teacher's life not so fun, but he is so sweet. If you ever say "I love you, Joan", he will yell back as loud as he can in his cute little hispanic accent, "I love you MORE!!"

This is Ariel. He was on time out a couple of days ago while everyone else got a 10 minute recess break. He wasn't too happy.
We had a group of dentists come visit us and they cleaned the teeth of all of the families and children at the Hacienda. All week long I stayed with my boy, Sebastian (above, with a swollen face), as he made 3 trips to the dentist. He had 3 teeth pulled and about 6 cavities, so that meant many shots of anesthesia in his gums. He was not happy at all and cried and squeezed my hand as hard as he could. I almost cried along with him but was SO PROUD of him when he was done. He got cookies, a new toy, and some cool glasses as a reward for being so stinkin' brave. I love him.
My baby with a cute little bird he found somewhere. I have no idea where he found it or why he picked it up, but he was so excited to show me.
This is Matias. He lives at the orphanage and I can't even tell you how much I love this stubborn little boy. And he's cute too.
Erick playing with his "hueso" after lunch one day... Sometimes at school we are served a piece of meat called "hueso" (bone), which literally means a big bone with a little bit of meat around it. It's awesome.
One night Ashley and I decided to put on weird masks and scare the kids in each house at the orphanage. We weren't very successful but I'm still creeped out by her mask.
Sean and I got to take the girls and two boys to Quito on Saturday to see the new Superman movie. I got to meet up with my friend from ACU, Julia, who lives in Quito!
Me and my baby girl, Dayana, being goofy after devo one night.
Some of my cute 4th graders!!
Me and Andres Estrella (Dad, Garrett, remember him?). He is the cutest little thing ever, and his head is literally probably twice the size of mine.
Me and Maxi!!!!!!
I fell asleep with Daniel, my Ecuadorean little brother, after devo last night. One of the other interns, the amazing Jill, snapped a picture, and I am so glad she did :)
Matias, Maxi and I outside today. Their smiles make me smile :)
And finally.... Anderson. Buddy. After we Skyped and you got to meet your Ecuadorean little brothers, they DO NOT STOP TALKING ABOUT YOU. They all want to Skype you again soon and they want you to come visit so you can play with them. They literally think you are awesome. I am so happy you met them and I know you will meet them in person one day, I just know it. I LOVE YOU!











Ansley, well said--that is God's plan for all of is, isn't it? Love him and love others...with everything we have! Blessings to you! Please tell your mom and dad hello for me!
ReplyDelete