Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 5

Dear Family and Friends,
 I am so sorry for not blogging from Ecuador until now. The first couple of days were very stressful. I am not going to lie and say I didn't cry A LOT the first day, plenty the second day, and some the third day. It's just hard to get adjusted to a whole different life away from the people you love - I still am not completely adjusted yet! Well, I will try to sum up these past 5 days (the good and the bad included).
  Leaving my family on Monday at 11 AM was the SCARIEST thing I have ever done in my life. I was so nervous, didn't really want to joke around about anything (even though it doesn't look like it), and I cried a lot a lot a lot. Here are some pictures from the airport:


Everyone thought I looked like Fraulein Maria from The Sound of Music with my guitar and carry on bag. (This was one of the only moments in which I was OK with joking around) 

                                                                                     
 Or maybe I just wanted to be like her. But you carry around a black guitar case and try not to feel like a young Julie Andrews.

This is the "don't take pictures I am so nervous" face.

                                                                         Silly family picture.


Garrett ruining a Sound of Music shot (on purpose).

 Setting my stuff down for a second to try for a second picture.


Garrett messing the second shot up AGAIN. 


Me getting mad at Garrett but still sort of laughing. 


Me REALLY annoyed at Garrett. Garrett, sorry for being mean to you that day. I was so nervous! I love you!

Final family picture before boarding the plane.

  The flights were pretty uneventful, but my bags were SO heavy. So walking around in the airports was a giant pain. I had to stop every 30 seconds because I was carrying a heavy guitar (stuffed with guitar and tons of goodies for the kids here), another carry-on weighing 20 or 25 pounds, and my backpack, which was also SO heavy. Nevertheless, I made it to Ecuador at midnight on Monday. 

  Jerry Snyder, the man who started this whole place, picked me up. He drove me back to the orphanage and let me sleep in he and his wife's house for the night to get some rest. If you know me, however, you will know that if I am nervous I cannot sleep (or eat or laugh or smile). So I pretty much slept from 4 to 6. When they woke up they drove me over to my little apartment with my things, and as soon as he left I started bawling (my roommate was teaching at school at that time so the apartment was empty). I got on skype and talked to my parents and really just felt awful. I wanted to go home and was so nervous and hungry and tired. So, Anderson decided that he would read his "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" book to me on Skype while I unpacked. He read to me for about 30 or 45 minutes, and it was the best thing of that day (THANKS ANDERSON!!)! When it got to be around lunchtime, I didn't know if I was supposed to wait for someone to come get me to have lunch, or eat by myself, or eat at the school... So, after complaining and crying to my parents on skype, my dad pretty much made me get out of the apartment and go look for someone to talk to. So I walked over to the little house in front of mine and ate lunch with Amanda Snyder, Jerry's daughter in law who runs the school along with her husband. She was very nice and has very cute kids and made me an awesome sandwich. After that I went right along with her to the school, and by the end of that day I was already teaching. I will do a whole other blog on the school system with pictures and everything, because it is SO complex and I don't want anyone going asleep reading this blog. 

  So I got through that first day, and the second, and the third, and the fourth. I have now been here for five days and can say that every day has gotten better. I am COMPLETELY in love with the kids that live here (they come over whenever they want, hug me, kiss me, one of them called me his mama, and if you saw pictures of them you would understand how CUTE they are), have made some really great new friends and have almost gotten used to the teaching, food and weather. God is the one that really, truly helps me get through each day, and every morning I write in my journal and read the daily Jesus Calling devotional (that book is AWESOME). There will be many more blogs to come: ones about teaching, new friends (Maritza! Jill! Cathy! Amanda! Miss Estela! Miss Fabi!), the kids, my jobs here, my little apartment and how it is getting decorated (The Ansley and Anderson book is hanging up on my wall, Andy! Twins forever!!!), the food, and so much more. I will leave you today with a small video I made about these 5 days I have been here, and I hope you like it! Please continue to pray for me as it is still very hard to not miss my family. Thank you!! And here is the short video (The song is "Hosanna" by Christy Nockels, God has put it on my heart this whole week long).
 P.S.: SO SORRY about the song cutting off in the middle out of nowhere. my computer did something weird and the timing is sort of off in the beginning also, so this is not the best video ever (but the internet here is so slow it took me 5 hours to upload this video to youtube and i really dont want to do that again)!! hope you still like it :)





17 comments:

  1. Hi Ansley. You don't know me from Adam, but I've been working with your folks about our church, Monrovia Church of Christ, picking up the "sponsoring" role for your family. They were with us today at church and we had a blessing for them and sent them off to go back to Brazil. I've really enjoyed getting to know your family and am really excited about getting to know them even more over the years. Anyways, just wanted to let you know that we're thinking and praying about you and the good work you're doing in Ecuador! You're video was good and it looks like you're starting to get settled. Before you know it, it will be time to leave so enjoy every minute of it! Take care and let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

    Brian Walton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ansley querida amei ver você no vídeo se familiarizando com as crianças. Deus vai te abençoar muito pelo que de bom darás a elas com teus ensinamentos da lingua, canções e carinho. Fiquei muito emocionada ao assistir o vídeo e quero me emocionar muito com o que postares no blog durante o tempo que passares ahi.Deus abençoe a todos.bjos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ansley, it is so good to see you! thanks for letting us know you are adjusting! I will keep you in my prayers...I know the children there already love you as much as we do!...Miss Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ansley! Great blog. I know that in these 5 days you've already learned that you're able to do way more than you thought you could do (just getting in the plane was HUGE!). I'm so proud of the way you're reaching far outside of your comfort zone to become even more of who God wants you to be. You're in my prayers and I'll be stalking your blog! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before long (well, in about 5 months) we will be reading your blog post about how hard it was to leave there. Seems God works that way. Makes heaven all the more sweeter. Your impact where you are is obvious. Can't wait to see how much bigger God's plans are than yours. BTW, great ending to that video...Some things are the same everywhere :-)
    Philippians 4:6-7,
    Martha Kimbrough

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey! i love your post! the picture with you and you family on the top of the page looks great!i am so happy to know that the kids are great and they are liking you and you are liking them, i am so proud of you! everything looks just fine but i know how hard it must be for you but dont forget that here in mt house and your friends here in brazil are cheering for you! i love you! xoxo
    fabi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you Ansley and I am very proud of you! Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ansley, I can't begin to tell you how proud we are of you! I wish you would leave Ecuador and come to Dallas to be a part of my ministry to young singles!!! You are using the Spirit by which you have been empowered (Acts 2) and it really blesses and encourages me. Keep living your faith. Be real. Love Jesus.

    Peace in Him,
    Sascha

    PS - I don't really want you to leave Ecuador...yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anser,
    My last touchdown on Sunday was just for you.
    Love,
    Timmy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ansley,
    I loved the video! The children are precious and you have grown into a wonderful young woman.Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the update!! thinking of you from down here!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just want you to know that we love you very much and are thinking of you. We were talking last night about how pretty you are and how you are always willing to please and do a good job.
    You will look back on this experience and realize how good it was to help others and make so many lifetime friends. So many people are praying for you. Granna and Granddaddy

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI! I know you don't know me but I grew up with your dad who was one of my very good friends growing up. My family lived next door to your dad and his family for a long time. I still consider your dad a good friend and your mom a good friend. I really appreciate what you are doing. You are an amazing young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Que Divino espirito Santo te ilumine,estou orgulhosa de você, é uma experiência que lhe vai trazer crescimento espiritual, muito jovens deverian fazer isso. Você é corajosa, autèntica e meiga as crianças vão lhe amar muito assim como nós. Estes abraços deles vão te dar força e corajem. Estou orando para que Deus te dê força. Beijos te amamos muito.
    Ivoli

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ansley, thanks for sharing with us. Looking forward to your blog as the days and weeks roll along. Praying for you every day, love sarajane

    ReplyDelete
  16. We now have your phone number and will be calling you one evening to see how the blue eyes are doing. Spent last Sunday with the Goobers. But are looking forward to talking with you, Blue eyes.

    Larry and Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ansley,
    Hi I want to thank you for giving time to the work there in Ecuador!! We appreciate you sooo much. Tim and I have been involved with the work there since it began! We have walked up and down that muddy road in your video many times!! Your mom and dad were in our house last night, in fact your mom was on the phone with you when she arrived! I know you are having a hard adjustment right now. I know God has you there for a reason! He needs you and the kids need you! It will get better, and yes it will be hard to leave!! I am sure these first couple of weeks are going to be the hardest, and the rest of the time will absolutely fly by! I am so sorry we will not be down while you are there! I was so excited when I heard you where going to be there! I lived down the street from your mom while she grew up. I am so proud of the Christian woman she is. I am so proud of the Christian woman you are becoming!!! We love your mom and dads blogs, and now we will also follow yours. May God give you peace and comfort!! May you experience many happy days and touch many lives! Love you,

    ReplyDelete