Saturday, April 7, 2012

This Morning

This morning. Worst morning ever.

 Is it OK to feel homesick sometimes? Because this morning I have been feeling it A LOT. I will post more about the month of March (MA group!) and my SWEET friend Grace Payton who came to stay with me for a week (1D fans forever), but right now I just feel like missing my family, my country, my friends. I miss my mom, I miss my dad, I miss Bronwyn, Garrett, Carys, Anderson and Giovanni. I miss spending birthdays with family. I miss not having to go to the store and buy groceries myself, and not having to make my own meals (I know I sound spoiled right now - I just miss my mom's food!). I miss not having to deal with health problems and going to the doctor alone. I miss talking with my sisters, watching movies with my brothers and hanging out with friends at home. I miss BRAZIL. I miss Portuguese. I miss arroz com feijao. I miss my friends, I miss my church. I miss my church family. This morning, I have been missing a lot of things. When I woke up I cried and felt awful. I also had this awful feeling like I am not making a difference in the lives of anyone here at all. I know it is the devil that brings out those feelings in me, but today it just hit me hard - and I wasn't prepared for it.  I talked to my mom a bit on facebook about what I was feeling - how I wasn't sure if I would EVER know if I made an impact here or not, if this was a good decision or not, if I have been helpful in the lives of these kids or not. And she sent me this video. I would encourage you to watch it, because it was VERY inspiring to me.


Many of the men who built those cathedrals would never see their work finished - and they KNEW that. However, they didn't let that thought keep them from their job, from what they were called to do. They kept on working - many of them until they died. This video was an eye-opener for me. What kind of person would I be if I just got up and left this place - with only 6 weeks to go? Would that be fulfilling what God called me to do here? He didn't put 3 and a half months on my heart. He put 5 months on my heart. He put May 22nd on my heart, not April 22nd. He will give me the strength to finish these 6 weeks - and to finish STRONG. My dad always says that when you are running a race you must finish strong. That goes for ANYTHING in our lives - our job, our relationships, a simple task we set out to do. I pray that I will finish the work God has called me to do, and that I will finish with my whole heart dedicated to LOVING these kids. I will pray for the you to learn from that video and endure whatever hardships you are going through - and know that God will give you the strength to finish strong. Could you pray for me as well? 

4 comments:

  1. I loved this video! It's just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ansley - GIRL! You ARE doing great things, with your whole heart, without guarantee of outcome, and THAT. IS. WHEN. THE. VERY. BEST. THINGS. CAN. HAPPEN.

    My name is Melinda, and my brother, Morgan, told me about your adventure in Ecuador, your creative gifting and your blog.

    Each time you post, I'm inspired. Know that the good you are doing there is spreading elsewhere, in the hearts of people you don't even know!

    Thanks so much for sharing the video, too.

    Have a great day, love!

    -Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ansley, I'm sorry I'm just now catching up on your blog. Yes, it's totally ok to feel homesick - it's just not a fun feeling! I was just 23 when we moved to Brazil and you'd better believe I had all those feelings you just described. God uses us anyway. Keep on loving those kids. They'll never forget the feeling of being loved, even if they don't remember exactly where that love came from. It will change who they become. (And, BTW, I'm pretty sure you'll become a legend the day after you leave Ecuador.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ansley, te admiro a cada dia um pouquinho mais! Uma menina de 18 anos, tão menina e tão madura ao mesmo tempo! Tu não faz idéia, mas sempre que tu cruza o meu caminho, mesmo de tão longe, tu me faz pensar diferente sobre o que estou sentindo e passando no momento.És muito especial e certamente vais deixar MUUUUITA saudade quando fores embora daí. Aguenta firme que agora falta pouco! Vou continuar rezando muito por ti.
    Beijão saudades, Auri

    ReplyDelete