Sunday, March 4, 2012

GO HOH!

So do you remember a blog post I did a while ago about my school sports uniform? How I am number 23 (for my birthday) and my name is "LA FLACA PODEROSA" (The Skinny Powerful One)? How our team is the BEST? I actually didn't say that, but after this Friday I believe I can. The women had their first basketball game (they had already played soccer and won 3-0), and since the game wasn't during school hours I was allowed to go. After school on Friday I ran down the hill, hearing "GO MISS!" from my students, changed into my uniform and tennis shoes and then went down to Amanda's house. We hopped in the car and arrived just in time for our first basketball match. We played against teachers from another school in Tabacundo, and had SO MUCH FUN! We started out playing sort of crazy-like, everyone running around everywhere and just trying to get the ball, and then Maritza's husband, Carlos, who is a P.E. teacher at the school, arrived and called a time-out. From then on he acted as our coach - telling us exactly what we needed to do and where we needed to be. "Maritza, you are good at passing. Amanda, you are fast and can intimidate the opponents. Carla, you are good at shooting. Monica, you can run a long time without getting tired. Ansley... you are tall."  Yes, that's literally how it went. I was definitely the tallest person on both teams, so our strategy went a little something like this: the rest of the players on my team would run around trying to shoot and I would just stand under the basket waiting for the ball to fall. 99% of the times it would just fall in my hands and I could hold it up over my head while one or two short Ecuadorian women would be jumping to try and get it from me. I'm glad that I could be of some help on the team - if you know me you know I am not very good at sports... it runs in the family (actually just in myself, my sister Bronwyn and my mom). But the BEST players on our team were Miss Carla and Amanda - Miss Carla made pretty much every single one of our points, and Amanda is VERY intimidating on the court. She is not afraid to run around and steal passes and she is very good at looking fierce. I am not... But ANYWAYS... We won 38-14!!!

 GO HOH (Hacienda of Hope) TEACHERS!!

About half of our team (by the team we decided to take pictures the other half had already left). From left to right: Clemencia (Clemen), Maritza (Mary), Carlos, Edison (Loky), Ansley (La Flaca Poderosa), Margarita (Magy) and Amanda (La Ley).

La Flaca Poderosa and La Ley (The LAW). I am jealous of her cool name - her students gave it to her!

Crazy trio!! 


3 comments:

  1. Don't be jealous. La Flaca Poderosa is WAY cooler than La Ley. Way cooler. And, by the way, it's a basketball game. Not a basketball match. Dork.

    Love you,
    Dadster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who said I have no athletic abilities? Rude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to have some fun. And La Flaca anything is pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete